Between dietary restrictions, food allergies, and the upcoming Passover season, cooking for friends and family can be a challenge. Luckily, Quinoa Stuffed Peppers are the answer to all your cooking quandaries!
Kosher? Check! It’s even kosher for Passover!
Delicious? Double Check!
What You’ll Need (serves 2 people)
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 2 peppers, tops removed and seeded. I used red peppers, but you can use any color.
- 1.5 tablespoon olive oil
- 2/3 cups water
- 1/4 onion, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup spinach
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese (note: the recipe won’t be vegan anymore and, while I don’t usually turn down the option to add cheese, this recipe really doesn’t need it)
Let’s Get Started!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a small saucepan, heat 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat and add quinoa. Stir quinoa in olive oil for 2-3 minutes to toast it. Add water and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover pot, let cook for 10-15 minutes until water has been absorbed.
- Place peppers cut-side down on baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes or until skin starts to brown
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat. Cook onions and herbs & spices for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomato, cucumber, and spinach and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir in quinoa until heated through.
- Spoon quinoa and vegetables into peppers
- OPTIONAL: Top with cheese
- Return peppers to oven for 5 minutes
You don’t need to save the pepper tops, but if you do, you can serve it with the tops as a garnish.