There are plenty of reasons to make your own tofu chicken nuggets:
- You have recently become vegetarian/vegan
- You keep kosher and don’t have easy access to kosher chicken OR you don’t want to wait six hours to eat dairy
- You don’t know what else to do with the tofu in your refrigerator
It’s very easy, but does require some forethought. Tofu is spongy and tastes like nothing if you don’t marinate it, so you have to plan ahead for any tofu recipe you try, but otherwise, it is very easy.
What You’ll Need (makes enough nuggets for 2-3 people)
- 1 package extra firm tofu
- 2 cups vegetarian/parve chicken broth
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon safflower or vegetable oil
Let’s Get Started!
- Open tofu, drain water, and press tofu until most of the moisture is gone from the block. This will allow the tofu to absorb your marinade.
- Cut tofu into nugget-size squares
- Put 2 cups of vegetarian/parve chicken broth in a bowl (Whole Foods carries vegetarian no-chicken broth OR you can make your own using parve chicken-style consomme)
- Dump your tofu squares in the broth, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and put in the refrigerator for 6 hours (you can marinate it for less time, but try to leave it for at least 2 hours)
- Drain broth
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat
- Put corn starch in a small bowl
- Coat tofu squares in corn starch and fry on both sides until browned